Thursday, August 6, 2009

2 Samuel 3:1,6, 12-21

Relax, Read and Reflect

Prayer- Lord, Open our hearts and open our minds and help us learn. Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

2 Samuel 3

1 The war between the house of Saul and the house of David lasted a long time. David grew stronger and stronger, while the house of Saul grew weaker and weaker.

6 During the war between the house of Saul and the house of David, Abner had been strengthening his own position in the house of Saul.

12 Then Abner sent messengers on his behalf to say to David, "Whose land is it? Make an agreement with me, and I will help you bring all Israel over to you."

13 "Good," said David. "I will make an agreement with you. But I demand one thing of you: Do not come into my presence unless you bring Michal daughter of Saul when you come to see me." 14 Then David sent messengers to Ish-Bosheth son of Saul, demanding, "Give me my wife Michal, whom I betrothed to myself for the price of a hundred Philistine foreskins."

15 So Ish-Bosheth gave orders and had her taken away from her husband Paltiel son of Laish. 16 Her husband, however, went with her, weeping behind her all the way to Bahurim. Then Abner said to him, "Go back home!" So he went back.

17 Abner conferred with the elders of Israel and said, "For some time you have wanted to make David your king. 18 Now do it! For the LORD promised David, 'By my servant David I will rescue my people Israel from the hand of the Philistines and from the hand of all their enemies.' "

19 Abner also spoke to the Benjamites in person. Then he went to Hebron to tell David everything that Israel and the whole house of Benjamin wanted to do. 20 When Abner, who had twenty men with him, came to David at Hebron, David prepared a feast for him and his men. 21 Then Abner said to David, "Let me go at once and assemble all Israel for my lord the king, so that they may make a compact with you, and that you may rule over all that your heart desires." So David sent Abner away, and he went in peace.

During this civil war, Abner becomes more and more powerful in Israel. He has a spat with Saul's son, (vs.6-11 if you want to read outside,) and decides to make peace with David. He makes a diplomatic offer by message, but David wants Michal, his first wife and Saul's daughter, back.

Abner brings Michal with him to meet with David, only her new husband follows, weeping. Abner tells him to go home-and he does. Abner meets with David and then with the elders of Israel to talk peace. He then gos back to David to negotiate the deal.

Questions:

1. How did Abner get to be so powerful?

2. Why would Ish-Bosheth, (or Ishbaal,) agree to send his sister Michal to David?

3. Is David finally going to have peace?

No comments: